In New York, tax prep fees can cost an average of $150 to $250. For someone who lives paycheck to paycheck, every refund matters. Volunteers help make sure every dollar counts.
1. Attend an (Optional) Tax Prep Info Session
New to the program? Complete an on-demand info session to learn more.
2. Review Training Resources
These on-demand resources are designed to help you prepare for the exam. Please note that materials will be updated as they become available.
3. Complete and Submit IRS Certification (REQUIRED)
Once ready, take your certification exam (see our instruction guide). You must answer 80% of the questions correctly to pass. You will have two chances to pass the exam. Please note the 2022 Exam is expected to be available by mid-November.
Important: when you successfully complete the exam, please upload all certification PDFs here. You will be required to present these documents again on your tax sites.
- 2022 Volunteer Standards of Conduct Exam Certificate
- 2022 Intake/Interview and Quality Review Exam Certificate
- 2022 Basic Exam OR 2022 Advanced Exam Certificate
- IRS Volunteer Agreement Form
4. Sign Up for a Tax Prep Shift
Sign up for our General Interest Campaign for updates on shift sign up, training and certification, and all things tax prep! If you have any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need help preparing your taxes? Learn more about eligibility and resources.