Meets pressing community needs by mobilizing caring New Yorkers in volunteer service.

Need Tax Prep?


The federal income tax filing deadline has been extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. 

The federal income tax payment deadline has also been extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. All taxpayers may take advantage of this deferred deadline without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount that is owed. 

Free E-file Options 

Though in-person VITA assistance is not currently available, most taxpayers can still file online for free with IRS Free File resources.  

Use this tool to find which Free File software(s) you are eligible for.    


On March 27, 2020, a Coronavirus relief package was signed into law. The legislation, known as the CARES Act, will offer assistance to many Americans.  

Under this law, most adults will be eligible for $1,200, plus another $500 per child. The amount would be based on your 2019 tax returns. If you have not yet filed returns for this year, 2018 tax returns will be used. For those who have not filed for a previous year, the IRS recommends taking steps as soon as possible to file delinquent returns. The mailing of stimulus checks may be affected if neither of these returns haS been filed.  

People who are receiving Social Security retirement and disability payments are also eligible for stimulus checks, as well as veterans and people who are unemployed.   

Check here for updates about Coronavirus Tax Relief

Need Tax Help?

What paperwork do I need to bring to get my taxes done?


  • Photo ID
  • Social Security cards/individual tax identification numbers (ITINs) and birthdates for everyone to be listed on the return
  • All tax statements, such as W-2 forms (from all your employers), 1099 forms (interest, dividends, unemployment), SSA-1099 forms (Social Security and/or retirement income), etc.
  • Health Insurance forms 1095-A (required), 1095-B (required if available), or 1095-C (required if available).

Note: If you are filing jointly with your spouse, you both must be present to electronically file and get your return faster


  • Bank account number and routing number
  • A copy of last year’s tax return

Additional Tax Information/Forms

Depending upon your situation, you might need to bring the following types of information:

  • If you worked and/or received unemployment: W-2, 1099 (1099-MISC, 1099-G, etc.)
  • If you were on Social Security or if you received retirement income: SSA-1099, 1099-R
  • If you had savings accounts, mutual funds, etc.: 1099-INT, 1099-DIV
  • If you had any other forms of income: W-2G (for gambling winnings), documentation of income
  • If you paid for health care through the marketplace ( or 1095A
  • If you paid for child care: name, address and tax identification number of the child care provider
  • If you paid student loans: 1098-E
  • If you attended a higher-education institution: 1098-T, documentation of tuition
  • If you owned a home: 1098, documentation of mortgage interest and property taxes paid
  • If you owned your own business: documentation of business income, business expenses and mileage
How can I find out the status of my refund?

If you are looking for the status of your refund or need to respond to a letter from the IRS, click here for more information.

What should I do if I receive a letter from the IRS requesting more information, after I've already filed my taxes?

The Department of Taxation and Finance provides these steps to help you respond to your letter. 

I'm interested in preparing my own taxes this year. Any advice?

If you made less than $69,000 last year, you may qualify for one or more Free File Online Options. Learn more here

Our Sponsors

Thank you to NYC Office of Financial Empowerment for your generous support of our Tax Prep Program.