Earth Celebrations, founded by social action artist Felicia Young in 1991 in New York City, engages communities to effect ecological and social change through the arts. Earth Celebrations’ programs address and generate change on issues such as: climate change, river restoration, species and habitat conservation, waste management, and the preservation of community gardens, parks, and a healthy urban environment. Founder/Executive Director Felicia Young has developed a successful methodology of ‘social practice’, utilizing the arts, along with civic engagement and environmental action.
They are currently seeking volunteers for two upcoming opportunities: bi-weekly costume and puppet creation workshops and the Ecological City Pageant itself. From March 2-May 8, volunteers will participate in workshops to create visual art, giant puppets, and costumes for the Ecological City Pageant. On Saturday, May 11, 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., volunteers will participate in and support the Ecological City Pageant, a cultural climate action project engaging youth and community in order to develop and bring together climate resiliency and ecological sustainability solutions within the gardens, neighborhood, and waterfront on the Lower East Side.
- Workshops will take place at Earth Celebrations at 639 East 6th Street, New York, NY 10009
- Ecological City Pageant will be at various locations throughout the Lower East Side
- Costume Workshops (March 2-May 8): Wednesdays, 6:00-9:00 p.m. with artist Yelaine Rodriguez
- Puppet Workshops (March 2-May 8): Saturdays, 12:00-4:00 p.m. with artist Lucrecia Novoa
- Ecological City Pageant: Saturday, May 11, 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Rain Date: Sunday, May 12)
If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Felicia Young via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*This is not a New York Cares project*