The Long Island Bombers are a dedicated group of baseball enthusiasts from the Long Island and Tri-State are, and they just happen to be blind and visually impaired. They hold rigorous practices, instructional clinics, and play exhibition and competitive games against sighted and other visually impaired teams in the Metropolitan area.
Beep Baseball is an adapted version of the national pastime, and with the use of a ball that beeps and bases that buzz, it enables the Long Island Bombers and other teams from all over the U.S. and Taiwan to enjoy and engage in team competition. The Long Island Bombers are also available to do presentations to schools and organizations designed to promote abilities, inspire and motivate.
They are currently seeking volunteers for both on and off the field opportunities, all of which listed in more detail below.
Appropriate training will be provided by the Long Island Bombers for all positions.
On the field:
- Pitcher: Pitch to players on your team and work to find the sweet spot for each batter.
- Field Spotter: Alert the players on defense where the ball has been hit.
- Catcher: Serve as a catcher as in regular baseball, but also assist the batters in setting up. Working with the pitcher, this person will learn each batter’s zone and set the appropriate target for the pitcher.
- Safety coach: Watch the baselines so that collisions do not occur. This volunteer may also be asked to help players on and off the field.
- General helper: Help set up the field, oversee equipment, and aid players in various ways.
Off the field:
- Fundraising - Help mail out letters to prospective donors, write grants, organize events, etc.
- Educational outreach: Help organize or participate in outreach events with schools and other organizations to help promote awareness of those with disabilities.
- Driver: Since the players on the team are visually impaired, they do not drive. This volunteer may be asked to make pick ups at the train station or may be asked to pick up players at their homes if they live near them.
Long Island Bombers
72 North Village Ave
Rockville Centre, NY 11570
Varies, depending on volunteer role and availability. Practice is held on Saturdays from 10am-1pm.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please reach out to Pasquale Agnone via phone at (631) 204-3363
You can find out more on their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LIBombers or website: www.libombers.org
*This is not a New York Cares project*