The Web Developer will be responsible for the development and technical maintenance of the New York Cares website. The website is an integral part of the volunteer’s digital experience with New York Cares. They should have essential knowledge of software development and design, be a quick learner and enjoy refining their development skills.
Examples of potential upcoming projects include leading a Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 migration and implementing a re-envisioned user experience across multiple digital channels.
The position will report to the Director of Technology and collaborate with other members of the four person technology team to meet all the technology needs of New York Cares.
- Architecting and implementing technical solutions in a Drupal/Salesforce.com environment to aid in the continued growth and success of New York Cares. Including:
- Using both configuration and efficient, testable custom code to meet functional requirements.
- Managing module updates, security updates, and upgrades.
- Refactoring code to improve performance and sustainability.
- Developing unit tests and functional tests.
- Documenting code and architecture choices.
- Collaborating with external developers for larger projects.
- Participating in Disaster Recovery and System Continuity planning, implementation, and testing.
- Assisting with quality assurance testing prior to new feature rollout, bug fixes, or major launches.
- Documenting key procedures and maintaining a record of development change requests and completed changes.
- Open-source community contributions are encouraged and will be supported with some on-the-job time.
- 3+ years of experience developing PHP web applications including experience with custom Drupal 7/8 module and theme development.
- Proficiency with MySQL, Apache SOLR, Git, Symfony and integrating third-party services and APIs.
- Familiarity with Java, CRMs, the Acquia platform, and automated testing tools.
- Basic understanding of UX best practices and Agile methodolgy.
- Effective project management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to translate technical jargon.
- Ability to occasionally work after hours for planned down-time or emergency problem solving.
- Bonus: You’ve contributed to an open-source community in the past or have a background in volunteering.
Salary starting in the 90's and commensurate with experience. Benefits include generous health and dental insurance plans, a retirement plan, generous vacation time, smart casual dress code and more.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, with the subject line Web Developer.