Do you enjoy implementing marketing tactics that lead to increased civic engagement? Do you thrive on building community through an organization’s brand? Do you enjoy analyzing the effectiveness of strategy and regularly iterating your process?
New York Cares is looking for a full-time Marketing Specialist to help increase our visibility and organizational impact through targeting, segmentation, and thoughtful engagement tactics. Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Marketing Specialist will implement strategies that engage audiences, grow social followers and web traffic, convert consumers into leads, and deepen the involvement of volunteers, community partners, donors and other supporters of our organization.
This position will help the Marketing & Communications team raise the profile of volunteerism in NYC through targeted messaging and a deeper understanding of supporters. The Marketing Specialist will advise upon and help implement marketing strategies for a variety of digital streams such as emails, social media, and web. They are responsible for developing tactics that complement visual concepts created by the Creative Lead, across many platforms. From list segmentation, data analysis, inventive storytelling and much more, this team member will be responsible for helping the organization meet a variety of marketing objectives to further New York Cares’ reach.
- In partnership with the Director, develop a marketing strategy that remains consistent and compelling across all delivery streams including website, email, and social platforms.
- Oversee New York Cares’ social media presence, exercising good judgment, serving as a customer service liaison, and growing the organization’s online community.
- Build and manage editorial calendar that engages current stakeholders and prospective supporters.
- Monitor and engage in relevant social discussions about our organization, competitors, and/or industry, both from existing consumers as well as from brand new audiences
- Process incoming marketing requests and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Manage our email marketing calendar and serve as gatekeep to emails sent via our email marketing platform, Mailchimp.
- Communicate marketing strategy with in-house developer(s) and communications team using UX deliverables such as audits, user journeys, and personas.
- Evaluate relevant news, data, and industry trends to build strategies to elevate New York Cares as a thought leader in workforce, tech, and community development.
- Serve as the in-house expert on marketing activities, designing campaigns and tailoring to ensure that the right types of content get to the right people at the right time, and measuring results so that volunteers and donors are effectively nurtured along the path to greater engagement.
- Support in the creation of ad campaigns for social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Work with our external PR company to drive press coverage to yearly events and initiatives, coordinate incoming media requests and pitch potential stories to reporters.
- Use Google Ads, Google Analytics, and other measurement tools to provide insight into the return on investment of all content efforts, devising and regularly reporting on key metrics.
This list is not an exhaustive job description. It is meant to describe the essential duties and the range of responsibilities for the Marketing Specialist role. Additional duties may be assigned as needed.
A successful Marketing Specialist will have the following competencies:
- Marketing Strategy – Fundamental working knowledge of clear marketing objectives, understands target audience(s), leverages segmentation, measures impact of communications, and maximizes engagement by delivering value-based content through the right channels.
- Written Communication – Consistently produces clear, concise, and compelling written work. Regularly conveys ideas that readers understand easily. Experienced writer with copy that is well organized, grammatically correct, and free of wordiness and technical jargon. Experienced in drafting messaging that is tailored to suit the intended audience: eliciting desired emotion, compelling readers to action, or persuading their point of view.
- Collaboration – Regularly works cooperatively with applicable stakeholders to accomplish objectives. Consistently contributes to goals, actively shares information and insights that create awareness and enhance objectives. Listens attentively and builds on feedback to design solutions that accomplish the goal and benefit the team.
- Creative Thinking – Consistently brings new perspectives, thoughtfulness, imagination and innovation to the work.
- Cultural Competence – Demonstrated understanding of social nuances, practices, and world views of people of various backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Regularly maintains a continued awareness of social and racial justice issues facing the people in communities served by New York Cares.
- Data Analysis – Demonstrated ability to research, collect and synthesize information from a variety of stakeholders and sources in an objective manner to reach a conclusion, goal, or judgment that enables strategic decision making.
- Stakeholder Focus – Consistently interacts with stakeholders in a warm, responsive, and helpful manner. Demonstrated ability to empathize and communicate from the stakeholder’s perspective. Routinely creates customer delight.
Starting salary is low to mid-50s. We provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and ample paid time off.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: Marketing Specialist).
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
About the Marketing & Communications Team
The Marketing & Communications team is responsible for conveying New York Cares’ mission, vision and values in a way that resonates and engages New Yorkers in service. We set brand standards, keep staff on message, communicate the most pressing needs facing NYC and illustrate the importance of civic engagement through research, education, and storytelling.