Are you a people-oriented leader who brings positivity to your work while challenging the status quo? Do you enjoy setting strategy and building content that brings a nonprofit’s work to life? Do you thrive on building community through an organization’s brand?
In collaboration with the Marketing & Communications Director, the Marketing & Communications Officer will provide strategic direction to a diverse range of marketing and content initiatives at New York Cares. The Officer will manage and support two department members, collaborate with other teams in achieving their goals, and assist with driving department effectiveness and efficiency.
Leading a small team of communications professionals, they will extend the reach of our brand’s core message to new audiences, grow and build strong communities of stakeholders, and work to convert website visitors into engaged supporters. The Officer will set and oversee organization-wide email and social calendars while playing a key role in content strategy for our upcoming website migration. From processing incoming work requests to engaging influencers and acting as senior copywriter, they will help tell the story of New York Cares through a variety of digital content streams.
- Manage a team of two, one full-time and one part-time staff, providing coaching and support to help them realize their full potential.
- Develop a content marketing strategy that remains consistent and compelling across all delivery streams including website, email, and social platforms.
- Serve as the gatekeeper for highly visible content - ensuring all content is proofread, consistent with branding and messaging, approved, and relevant before posting.
- Communicate content strategy with in-house developer(s) and communications team using UX deliverables such as content audits, user journeys, and personas
- Oversee New York Cares’ digital presence, exercising good judgment, serving as a customer service liaison, and growing the organization’s online community.
- Evaluate relevant news, data, and industry trends to build strategies to elevate New York Cares as a thought leader in workforce, tech, and community development
- Process incoming work requests and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders, both internal and external
- Serve as the in-house expert on marketing activities, designing campaigns and tailoring to ensure that the right types of content get to the right people at the right time, and measuring results so that volunteers and donors are effectively nurtured along the path to greater engagement
- Work with our external PR company to drive press coverage to yearly events and initiatives, coordinate incoming media requests, write talking points for senior staff, and pitch potential stories to reporters
- Use Google Analytics and other measurement tools to provide insight into the return on investment of all content efforts, devising and regularly reporting on key metrics
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years’ work experience; HS/HS school equivalency plus combination 6 years relevant experience and/or post-secondary training/education considered.
- Candidates with significant experience in the areas of marketing, journalism, or pro-social digital customer service are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; Spanish language fluency, a plus
- Excellent and polished copywriting skills, with comfort writing for a variety of audiences while using progressive and inclusive language
- Familiarity with popular social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Strong leadership skills a must, management experience preferred
- Experience with email marketing applications, such as Constant Contact or MailChimp
- Experience with content management systems, Drupal CSM preferred
- Familiarity with accessibility standards, usability principles, and SEO guidelines
- Ability to think strategically and make data-informed decisions
- Knowledge of HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, and content management systems
- Understanding of Google Analytics and other social media monitoring applications
- Ability to manage many projects simultaneously
- Professional and positive demeanor, both in-person and over the phone
Starting salary is 50k; We provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and ample paid time off.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position in the subject line. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Peace Corps & AmeriCorps alumni are encouraged to apply.