Reporting to the Officer, Volunteer Relations, the Volunteer Relations Manager is responsible for the process of onboarding over 18,000 new volunteers annually. New York Cares volunteers mobilize on a variety of projects city-wide, providing support to hundreds of thousands of vulnerable New Yorkers each year. This role is accountable for engaging, informing, and inspiring new volunteers to serve. This position will work closely with staff in other program departments to ensure that volunteers are equipped to serve on projects throughout NYC and excited about giving back to strengthen communities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the end-to-end process of onboarding new volunteers including: developing and updating orientation content and planning; scheduling in-person and digital orientations; tracking and evaluating the orientation process; and training, supervising, supporting, and placing volunteer orientation leaders (Speakers Bureau).
- Schedule, manage, track, and evaluate monthly training offerings for nonprofit and school partners in New York City, including support for customized volunteer management trainings and facilitating training sessions as needed.
- Update website for volunteer resources and trainings for nonprofits and schools.
- Manage and train orientation staff.
- Support the development and execution of strategies for external volunteer recruitment to engage diverse populations in volunteer service.
- Develop and deliver orientation resource guides for Program Managers.
- Respond to general volunteer inquiries received by phone and email.
- Support organization-wide initiatives such as Annual Events, Special Events, new volunteer orientations, and intern supervision, as needed.
- Support strategic initiatives to: develop, pilot, and launch issue-based educational materials for volunteers; utilize innovative technologies to deliver orientations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least two years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills; Spanish language fluency, a plus
- Skilled in and comfortable with public speaking
- Ability to manage many projects simultaneously and to set priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong administrative skills and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), working knowledge of Outlook, and Salesforce
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders
- The willingness to work beyond traditional working hours and schedules, including some evenings and weekends
- Event planning experience a plus
- Good sense of humor
- Commitment to volunteerism
Starting salary ranges from the mid- to high- $30ks. We provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and ample paid time off.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title of the position in the subject line. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Peace Corps & AmeriCorps alumni are encouraged to apply.