Reporting to the Officer of Adult & Teen Education Programs, the Teen Education Program Manager plays a critical role in shaping New York Cares’ college access programming for New York City high school students. These programs focus on academic enrichment, subject-area tutoring, college access, and more. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in promoting volunteerism, improving education, and making a positive impact in the lives of New York City public school students.
The Teen Education Program Manager works in a team of six, manages 50 to 60 ongoing volunteer programs that serve teens in public schools, community centers, and transitional housing facilities. The manager’s portfolio focuses on SAT preparation, English and math enrichment, financial aid application assistance and other programs for high school students. The manager is expected to identify new project sites and develop new program models, as well as continually monitor program quality through feedback, site visits, surveys, data analysis and more.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Program/Project Management & Evaluation
- Plan and implement well organized and high-quality volunteer service programs
- Lead the launch of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) program
- Evaluate programs by attending volunteer projects and visiting partner agencies
- Develop curricula for new and existing education programs
- Collect and evaluate data on student progress and volunteer effectiveness
- Manage multiple project budgets and tracking expenses
- Conceive, plan, and staff one-time volunteer projects for corporate volunteer groups
- Sort and distribute project supplies
- Cultivate and maintain collaborative partnerships with project partner agencies
- Perform community outreach to identify new partner agencies for specific program areas
- Provide development opportunities for community partners
- Recruit, support and train volunteers and volunteer team leaders
- Provide development opportunities for volunteers
New York Cares volunteer projects, trainings, and events take place before and after work and on weekends, requiring the Program Manager to work several evenings per month and multiple weekend days a year.
- Bachelor’s Degree or three or more years of relevant non-profit work experience;
- Interest and experience in SAT preparation, college preparation, financial aid application, and/or tutoring;
- Experience designing and implementing high school level English and math enrichment programming;
- Familiarity with New York City public schools and social service agencies, a plus;
- Strong organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail;
- Superior written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills; a proven ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of constituencies;
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills, including the ability to lead trainings and events for large groups of students and adult volunteers;
- The ability to establish, maintain and cultivate strong working relationships internally and externally;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team;
- Demonstrated commitment to community service and volunteerism;
- Flexible schedule, including the ability to work late evenings and occasional weekends, as needed;
- Occasional movement of materials up to 35 pounds is required;
- Broad-based computer skills, Excel and Salesforce a plus.
High 30s. We provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and ample paid time off.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Rahel Semegn, Officer of Adult & Teen Education Programs at email@example.com by November 15th. Indicate the position’s title in the subject line of your email. No phone calls will be accepted for this position.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.