Do you enjoy crafting copy that bring a nonprofit’s mission to life? Do you thrive on finding and telling stories of impact? Are you comfortable writing about a range of topics for a diverse audience?
New York Cares is looking for a full-time Junior Copywriter to help increase the impact of our brand using compelling copy and storytelling. The Junior Copywriter will engage audiences by deepening their understanding of the range of social inequities facing New York City and will write about the importance of civic engagement. Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Junior Copywriter will generate content for a variety of digital streams such as email, social, and web, while using progressive language and adhering to readability and accessibility standards. This position will help the Marketing & Communications team raise the profile of volunteerism in NYC through thoughtful copywriting and storytelling. They are responsible for generating stand-alone copy or text to complement visual concepts created by the Creative Lead, across many platforms. From writing to proofreading, conducting interviews and much more, this team member will craft compelling communications that engage a range of stakeholders and further our mission using the organization’s brand voice.
- Draft communications in the organization’s brand voice (illustrating values of equity, humanity and trust), while celebrating volunteerism, motivating service, and educating volunteers on issues.
- Draft mobile first copy that bolsters New York Cares’ social media and digital presence, exercising good judgement, and growing the organization’s online community.
- Write high-quality, well researched content around civic engagement and relevant topics.
- Serve as the gatekeeper for highly visible content - ensuring all copy is proofread, consistent with branding and messaging, approved, and relevant before posting.
- Draft and proof copy via Mailchimp, our email marketing platform.
- Monitor and enforce guidelines for project descriptions and train staff members on best practices of copywriting.
- Audit content on all platforms for grammar, readability, accessibility and brand standards.
- Update website content regularly using basic HTML on our content management system, Drupal.
- Draft and/or source content for PR and media, such as talking points, pitches, interviews and stories of impact.
- Create 1–2 free resources each month to drive leads, subscribers, awareness, and/or other important metrics.
- Blog (or some other medium) on an ongoing basis to support and promote our offerings and attract site visitors through search, social media, and email subscribers.
- Support the maintenance of our content library (story drive).
This list is not an exhaustive job description. It is meant to describe the essential duties and the range of responsibilities for the Junior Copywriter role. Additional duties may be assigned as needed.
A successful Junior Copywriter will have the following competencies:
- Written Communication – Consistently produces clear, concise, and compelling written work. Demonstrated ability to convey ideas that readers understand easily. Written work is regularly well organized, grammatically correct, and free of wordiness and technical jargon. Experienced in drafting messaging that is tailored to suit the intended audience: eliciting desired emotion, compelling readers to action, or persuading their point of view.
- Collaboration – Regularly works cooperatively with both internal and external stakeholders to accomplish content objectives. Routinely contributes to goals, actively shares information and insights that create awareness and enhance objectives. Listens attentively often and builds on feedback to design solutions that accomplish the goal and benefit the team.
- Creative Thinking – Consistently brings new perspectives, thoughtfulness, imagination and innovation to the work.
- Cultural Competence – Demonstrated understanding of social nuances, practices, and world views of people of various backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Maintains a continued awareness of social and racial justice issues facing the people in communities served by New York Cares.
- Data Analysis – Foundational understanding of researching, collecting, and synthesizing information from a variety of stakeholders and sources in an objective manner to reach a conclusion, goal, or judgment that enables strategic decision making.
- Stakeholder Focus – Basic understanding of how to interact with stakeholders in a warm, responsive, and helpful manner. Foundational understanding of how to empathize and communicate from the stakeholder’s perspective.
Starting salary is mid to high-40s. We provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and ample paid time off.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, writing sample and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: Junior Copywriter).
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
About the Marketing & Communications Team
The Marketing & Communications team is responsible for conveying New York Cares’ mission, vision and values in a way that resonates and engages New Yorkers in service. We set brand standards, keep staff on message, communicate the most pressing needs facing NYC and illustrate the importance of civic engagement through research, education, and storytelling.