Under the supervision of the Director of Technology, the Records Management Intern will be responsible for assessing and providing recommendations for improvement of the organization of our internal fileserver and collaborative file spaces. The goal will be to improve the findability of key digital documents and data for staff while reducing the amount of duplication and unnecessary data storage. This project will happen alongside an update to the records retention policy.
This internship will be a valuable learning experience where the intern will:
- Learn and observe the typical records created by a non-profit
- Learn how to facilitate the internal communication and records retention needs of the organization
- Gain experience working in cross-functional teams as well as independently
- Gain experience with change management
- Evaluate and assist in the revision of the organizational records retention policy.
- Inventory the digital documents in the fileserver, collaborative spaces such as Google Drive and review the types of records held in platforms such as Salesforce.
- Describe and document the organizational challenges with the organization of current fileserver and collaborative digital work spaces (eg Google Drive).
- Recommend improvements in taxonomy and categorization, document metadata, access permissions and archival processes, etc. to increase findability for staff and records retention compliance.
- Develop training materials and plans to help with data cleanup tasks.
- Currently enrolled or recent graduate of an information science or library science program is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of records management best practices and metadata standards.
- Experience with volunteering or non-profit management is preferred.
This internship will have a paid stiped. The internship can be flexibly scheduled either on a part-time or full-time basis between April and September 2019 and will be located onsite at our Financial District office.
To apply please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Records Management Intern” as the subject line. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affiirmative Action Employer.