The Director of Volunteer Events leads a 9-person department that has a person-focused viewpoint and uses the tools of production, planning, and event management to execute on that viewpoint. The Director sets the vision for what a high-quality event is and creates the environment, processes, and tools to reach that quality level consistently across all New York Cares projects and events.
- Directly inform the organization’s strategic priorities by representing the best practices of the service experience for both volunteers and partners.
- Break the relevant strategic priorities of the organization down to manageable tasks and goals for the Volunteer Events department.
- Responsible for deciding the key performance indicators for volunteer project quality.
- Oversees the effective execution of all programmatic events, including Coat Drive, Winter Wishes, volunteer recognition Events, and more.
- Creates the organization’s best practices for volunteer project and event production. Works to develop and train their department in those best practices.
- Oversees the procurement and reconciliation of all program supplies in partnership with the Finance Department.
- Develops relationships with large procurement companies to support our supply and delivery.
- Directly manages four positions, developing clear goals, training opportunities and professional development for that staff. Supports that staff in their management of the rest of the department.
- Collaborates closely with other directors to ensure effective cross department collaboration.
- Manages the creation of department policies and procedures to ensure effective project and event management.
- Ensures that the department has a process for communicating standards of project and event production to all staff.
- Represent the organization externally in meetings and press opportunities.
This list is not an exhaustive job description. It is meant to describe the essential duties and the range of responsibilities for the Director, Volunteer Events role. Additional duties may be assigned as needed.
The successful Director of Volunteer Events will:
- Have 5+ years of experience in planning and executing events of 300 people or more
- Has a deep understanding of effective individual and team management strategies with the ability to accurately access an employee’s strengths and challenges, set relevant goals and expectations, and professional development opportunities for them. Has a demonstrated ability at developing strategies that improve organizational performance. Adept at taking strategies and breaking them down into actionable tasks for staff.
- Models strong event production practices ensuring events run smoothly and produce the desired outcome. Anticipates and prepares for roadblocks, quickly troubleshoot and resolve issues as they arise.
- Highly customer centric and culturally competent focus in high stakes environments. Has a demonstrated ability of social nuances, practices, and world views of people of various backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Leverages that understanding to effectively interact with people within diverse communities. Models and promotes a continued awareness of social and racial justice issues facing the people in communities served by New York Cares.
- Has expertise in planning and organizing projects from conception to implementation including timeline, milestones, resources and budget. Models for staff how to coordinate tasks to ensure project is executed as each phase is designed. Consistently communicates with stakeholders, keeping them abreast of project status, timeline, roadblocks, and deliverables.
- A passion and willingness to confront and discuss issues of systemic oppression and the racial, ethnic, gender and other identities that experience it – both in our office and in the field.
Starting salary range in the mid $80,000s. Salary is just one component of New York Cares total compensation package. We offer generous paid leave including a winter holiday break, self-care days, and summer Fridays; comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage; access to thousands of e-learning courses; tax advantage accounts including a 403b Thrift Plan, FSA and much more.
Apply via Indeed: New York Cares, Director of Volunteer Events.
About the Volunteer Events Team
New York Cares’ Volunteer Events department ensures that every service experience our stakeholders have is of the best possible quality. Frequently on the ground, the department focuses on the production of each of our volunteer events and projects, ensuring that volunteers have accurate information, that the project follows best practices of volunteer engagement, and that all supplies and materials are effectively received for each project. We share a belief that all New Yorkers can make a meaningful difference on the most pressing issues our communities face.