The Director of Technology oversees all aspects of technology at New York Cares. They develop the organization’s IT vision and translate it into actionable goals. They also manage and execute development efforts on all platforms and ensure UX principles guide the development of the public website. The Director leads a 6-person team of IT professionals and cultivates service excellence within the team.
This role reports to the Chief Finance & Operations Officer and leads a team of 6 IT professionals including: a Web Developer, Jr. Web Developer, Salesforce Administrator, UX Lead, Technology Manager, and a P/T Tech Specialist. The Technology Director frequently engages with New York Cares’ leadership team and Project Leads throughout the organization.
- Create and execute short-term and long-term strategic plans for the Technology team.
- Lead a team 6 IT professionals: setting clear goals, managing performance, and providing training and professional development opportunities.
- Manage the workflow and priorities of the Technology team, including the day-to-day feature requests, bug fixes, and wish list items for all technology systems.
- Oversee and manage technology initiatives, keeping projects on time and at/under budget.
- Manage the administration and development of our web and database platforms; collaborating with vendors on advanced development as needed.
- Strengthen cyber security across the organization.
- Identify future challenges in the IT landscape and develop mitigation strategies
- Formulate and implement business continuity and disaster recovery planning.
- Optimize data integrity through data clean ups and improved configuration.
- Develop and manage annual IT budget.
- Collaborate with Fundraising team on IT grant proposals.
- Assist technology staff in responding to technical emergencies or outages.
- Train staff on current technology and feature enhancements as needed.
- Stay current with changes in technology and identify and recommend new IT solutions.
This list is not an exhaustive job description. It is meant to describe the essential duties and the range of responsibilities for the Director of Technology. Additional duties may be assigned as needed.
The successful candidate believes deeply in the mission of New York cares and will:
- Have 5 years experience managing a Technology team. Demonstrate the ability to set clear goals, manage performance, motivate, coach and develop staff.
- Demonstrate experience planning and troubleshooting technological systems and infrastructure.
- Have knowledge of Salesforce, web development, cyber security and the demonstrated ability to quickly become proficient in new technology as the need arises.
- Be able to prioritize and manage multiple requests.
- Demonstrate ability to, plan, organize, and execute projects from conception through implementation.
- Have exceptional collaboration and problem-solving skills; focused on win/win solutions. Anticipate and prepare for roadblocks. Quickly troubleshoot and resolve issues as they arise. Create innovative solutions when traditional solutions are not feasible or ineffective.
- Have excellent written and verbal skills, easily translating technical jargon to non-technical staff.
- Demonstrate cultural competence and strong relationship building skills. Demonstrate empathy and respect for all individuals regardless of differences. Adjust communication and management style according to needs of individual stakeholders.
- Be able/willing to occasionally work after hours for planned down-time or emergency problem solving.
- Experience with Agile, Jira, Asana preferred.
Salary of $125k is commensurate with experience. Salary is just one component of New York Cares total compensation package. We offer generous paid leave including a winter holiday break, self-care days, and summer Fridays; comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage; access to thousands of e-learning courses; tax advantage accounts including a 403b Thrift Plan, FSA and much more.
Apply via Indeed, Director of Technology.
About the Technology Team
New York Cares’ Technology Department provides the Organization and its stakeholders with the technological infrastructure, services, and support needed to advance its mission. This includes, but is not limited to web platforms, network services, database platforms, phone and voicemail systems, financial processing systems, and day-to-day workstation use. With an eye toward service excellence, we administer applications, safeguard our electronic data, and provide technical support. This team enables the Organization to leverage technology in order to work effectively and efficiently.