New York Cares’ 12-person Development Team raises $9mm+ annually from a diverse portfolio of institutional funders. The Director of Institutional Giving will lead a team of seven (four frontline fundraisers and 3 corporate service leads), with a combined goal of raising $5mm+ from corporations and foundations. This creative and dynamic team always strives to come up with innovative ways to engage corporations in our work and invest in our programs, strategies and visions.
We are seeking a strong manager and seasoned fundraiser with a proven track record of raising corporate and foundations dollars through a myriad of initiatives. Reporting to the Chief Development Officers, the Director of Institutional Relations is responsible for overseeing and significantly growing New York Cares’ portfolio of corporate and foundation supporters. The successful candidate will be a leader, innovative, driven, and have a strong understanding of corporate giving, ESG practices and can develop mutually beneficial partnerships.
Manages a team of six corporate and one foundation relations professionals, including four direct reports, in all aspects of their efforts to achieve aggressive fundraising and programmatic departmental goals.
- Sets clear benchmarks for the team, regularly reflect on progress through donor data tracking and analysis, and adjust tactics as necessary to meet revenue goals;
- Develops, coaches and manages team members and holds them accountable for achieving ambitious goals and ensuring they have opportunities for professional growth and development;
- Develops and oversees the implementation of new and creative corporate partnership packages;
- Researches, writes and edits funding grants/reports, corporate proposals and related fundraising/promotional materials;
- Works collaboratively with the Individual Giving and Communications Teams to execute three fundraising and brand awareness campaigns centered on New York Cares’ Annual Events – Stand With Students, Annual Coat Drive, and Cares Day;
- Projects annual revenue, and tracks progress towards yearly revenue goals;
- Develops and manages departmental budget;
- Identifies prospects and drives new donor cultivation;
- Works with the Chief Development Officer to optimize Board resources and connections;
- Develops written reports and presents occasionally at Board of Directors meetings;
- Serves as a key culture carrier internally and externally, modeling inclusive leadership and collaboration;
- Liaises with other departments, from front line staff to Senior Leadership to ensure fundraising needs are met;
- Ensures appropriate recognition of all corporate and foundation donors;
- Raises New York Cares’ profile within the local corporate community; and,
- Anticipates and responds to corporate and foundation sectors and philanthropic trends.
This list is not an exhaustive job description. Additional duties may be assigned as needed.
Successful candidates will be highly motivated, creative thinking, strong leader and manager who possesses a deep understanding of successful partnerships, and:
- A Bachelor’s Degree and 8+ years of experience (or high school equivalency and 10+ years’ experience) in a fundraising or business development department with specific experience working with corporations and foundations.
- People management experience of a team of 3 or more
- Superb communication skills, with experience tailoring messages to suit intended audiences and compelling readers to act. Has a mastery of grammatically-correct writing skills to create impactful collateral that supports our fundraising efforts.
- Excellent project management and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently, follow instructions, and responds to management direction.
- A proven track record of moving programs/projects towards impact.
- Ability to analyze and use data and metrics to shape goals, strategies, and tactics.
- Experience with corporate volunteer programs.
- Understand social nuances, practices, and world views of people of various backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Leverages that understanding to effectively interact with people of diverse communities.
- Possesses a strong future-orientation and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel.
- Experience using Salesforce.org, Mailchimp, Apollo, and/or similar technical systems preferred.
Starting salary is in the mid $80k’s. Salary is just one component of New York Cares total compensation package. We offer generous paid leave including a winter holiday break, self-care days, and summer Fridays; comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage; access to thousands of e-learning courses; tax advantage accounts including a 403b Thrift Plan, FSA and much more.
To apply, candidates should email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Director, Institutional Relations in the subject line.