Are you passionate about fundraising to help support New York’s most vulnerable residents? We seek an experienced, creative, and engaging Development Officer to plan and execute multiple special events and fundraising campaigns in support of New York Cares’ programs.
The Development Officer is part of a highly motivated fundraising team, consisting of the Chief Development Officer, a Director of Development, a Development Officer, and Development Coordinator. This role will execute a number of development activities in special events and individual campaigns.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the team to plan and execute fundraising for annual events, including the annual Gala, Soiree, New York Cares Day for Schools, Caring Rocks concert, Family Volunteering event, and others as needed.
- Engage New York Cares’ active young professionals' committee, the Rising Leaders Council, in the planning and execution of several fundraising events throughout the year.
- Develop event budgets, timelines, and task lists; draft correspondence, and prepare progress and summary reports for senior staff and Rising Leaders Council.
- Manage vendors, contractors, payments, and relationships with in-kind sponsors; serve as primary liaison with the Communications department for event marketing and collateral needs, and be the point person for event logistics, including recruiting and managing event volunteers.
- Ensure revenue goals are met by partnering with New York Cares leadership to identify, recruit, manage and steward volunteer committee members and event donors/sponsors.
- Engage members of New York Cares Senior Team and volunteer leadership in donor cultivation and fundraising solicitations and support involvement with appropriate research and briefing materials.
- Work with the Development Coordinator to maintain correspondence, financial records, and statistical reports as needed and facilitate records, evaluations and reports ensuring revenue is tracked accurately and in a timely manner.
- Assist with the annual appeals process as needed, including direct mail, e-mail, monthly giving, workplace giving, and matching gift solicitations, and other avenues as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned, including ongoing support of appeals, campaigns, donor communications, and marketing.
- Participate in the donor stewardship process.
- Represent New York Cares’ mission and programs to external parties by building and maintaining strong organizational knowledge
The Development Officer will be a highly motivated self-starter who will tackle all projects with enthusiasm and a commitment to exceptional performance. Successful candidates will have a strong desire to learn, interest in the nonprofit space, and:
- Three to five or more years of experience in non-profit fundraising, special events, sales, community affairs, community organization, or corporate development
- Superior relationship management skills; able to work independently and collaboratively with a variety of personalities and leadership styles.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to listen effectively.
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong proofreading and editing abilities.
- Comfortable and able to work effectively with numbers, budgets, and data.
- Highly organized and professional demeanor.
- Collaborative and energetic work style.
- Ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly.
- Broad-based computer skills (MS Office required, Salesforce and Asana experience preferred).
- A flexible schedule, including the ability to work late evenings, early mornings, and occasional weekends as needed.
Low-mid 50s. We provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and ample paid time off.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample by email to email@example.com, with the subject line Development Officer, Individual Giving and Special Events. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.