New York Cares’ 12-person Development Team raises $9mm+ annually from a portfolio of generous donors and institutional funders. The Development Officer, Individual Giving will join a team of five fundraising professionals focused on individual giving and special events, ultimately raising $4mm+ via an Annual Gala, a Soiree, and myriad fundraising campaigns and initiatives. We are a collaborative group that is always looking for new ways to tell New York Cares’ story and improve our fundraising strategy. We also manage a Young Professionals Committee (“Rising Leaders Council”), a Family Council, and a major donor society (“Leadership Circle”). We are seeking an experienced fundraiser who excels at developing creative fundraising campaigns and pitches.
The Development Officer, Individual Giving will manage New York Cares’ fundraising cycles for donors who give <$1,000 annually, with a goal of raising at least $1mm and increasing donations from and retention of that donor-base. The successful candidate will be organized, creative, and tackle projects with a commitment to exceptional performance. If you are looking to join a motivated team that prioritizes donor engagement and data-informed stewardship, this role is for you.
- Develop and manage comprehensive campaigns to raise funds for New York Cares’ general operations and programs. Integrate and coordinate different solicitation strategies including email, phone, direct mail, and social media. Write campaign copy and strategy briefings to keep other staff (Communications, Programs, Senior Leadership) up to date.
- Works collaboratively with the Institutional Relations and Communications Teams to execute three fundraising and brand awareness campaigns centered on New York Cares’ Annual Events – Stand With Students, Annual Coat Drive, and Cares Day.
- Work with the Director of Development, Individual Giving & Special Events, and a Revenue Optimization Consultant to build and maintain donor segments based on individuals’ behavior, engagement, and affiliations. Test segments regularly using Mailchimp’s and apollo’s A/B testing and survey features and use results to inform campaign development and fundraising strategy.
- Become a New York Cares “expert” and excel in telling our story. Act as a spokesperson for the organization as needed to bring in funding and engage with donors and prospective supporters.
- Support New York Cares’ Major Gift program by identifying donors from the <$1,000 portfolio who have potential for growth, completing research on databases and platforms (e.g. iWave, apollo), and presenting prospect profiles to the Partnerships & Major Gifts Officer and Director of Development.
This list is not an exhaustive job description. Additional duties may be assigned as needed.
Successful candidates will be highly-motivated self-starters who have an aptitude for communication and story-telling, possess a collaborative spirit, have interest in the nonprofit space, and:
- A Bachelor’s Degree and 3+ years of experience (or high school equivalency and 5+ years’ experience) in a fundraising or fundraising-related department (e.g. marketing and communication, sales, etc.) with demonstrated experience working on individual giving, email campaigns, annual fund, and/or related tasks.
- Superb communication skills, with experience tailoring messages to suit intended audiences and compelling readers to act. Can use outstanding grammar and copywriting to create a variety of written materials that support fundraising efforts.
- Excellent project management skills. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and plans work activities, use time efficiently, follow instructions, and responds to management direction
- Ability to analyze and use data and metrics to shape goals, strategies, and tactics.
- Understand social nuances, practices, and world views of people of various backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Leverages that understanding to effectively interact with people of diverse communities.
- Possesses a strong future-orientation and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel.
- Experience using Salesforce.org, Mailchimp, apollo, and/or similar technical systems preferred.
- People management experience a plus.
Starting salary range is in the low $50’s. Salary is just one component of New York Cares total compensation package. We offer generous paid leave including a winter holiday break, self-care days, and summer Fridays; comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage; access to thousands of e-learning courses; tax advantage accounts including a 403b Thrift Plan, FSA and much more.
To apply, candidates should email their resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Development Officer, Individual Giving in the subject line.