Do you have command over best practices and trends in the digital media space? Do you enjoy leading content strategy in a way that brings a nonprofit’s work to life? Do you understand how to utilize analytics to build and convert a digital audience?
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Content Lead is responsible for spearheading the creation, delivery, and strategy of content for New York Cares’ internal and external audiences.
We seek an experienced, energetic, highly organized, and thoughtful communications professional who will bring a strategic mindset to web content and user experience projects. They will extend the reach of our brand’s core message to new audiences, grow and build strong digital and analog communities of stakeholders, and work to convert website visitors into volunteers, donors, and active supporters of New York Cares. The Content Lead will work in a fast-paced environment alongside a small team of Communications and Technology staff and will assist with the content strategy behind a website migration while maintaining day-to-day operations. This role will also lead Volunteer Digital Connect, supported by The Booth Ferris Foundation, an initiative providing contextual information to volunteers at key moments in their journey in order to strengthen their connection to our work while increasing awareness and empathy. From determining content hierarchy to analyzing web traffic patterns and writing automated email communications, they will help capture and tell the story of New York Cares through a variety of digital content streams.
• Develop and execute a content marketing and web strategy that supports the organization’s main business objectives, such as producing and curating content for distribution through the website, blog posts, e-newsletters, and social media.
• Grow our email subscriber base by providing them with regular, helpful content that’s aligned with their needs and interests.
• Create 1–2 free resources each month to drive leads, subscribers, awareness, and/or other important metrics (examples include ebooks, whitepapers, infographics, guides, templates, etc.).
• Blog on an ongoing basis to support and promote our offerings and attract site visitors through search, social media, and email subscribers.
• Manage various email campaigns, including generating copy, advising on template design, and building strong calls-to-action.
• Serve as the in-house expert on all email marketing activities, designing campaigns and associated templates, understanding our lists and segmenting appropriately to ensure that the right types of content get to the right people at the right time, and measuring results so that volunteers and donors are effectively nurtured along the path to greater engagement.
• Set and help facilitate editorial strategy to make content consistent and compelling across all delivery streams.
• Be the gatekeeper for highly visible content - ensuring all content is proofread, consistent with branding and messaging, approved, and relevant before posting.
• Evaluate relevant news, data, and industry trends to build strategies to elevate New York Cares as a thought leader in workforce, tech, and community development
• Serve as gatekeeper by developing content ideas that add valuable SEO.
• Communicate content strategy with in-house developer(s) and communications team using UX deliverables such as user journeys, personas, and site maps.
• Curate content to bolster New York Cares’ social media presence, exercising good judgement, and growing the organization’s online community. Our current social strategy aspires to raise the profile of volunteerism in NYC, and this position will be tasked with accomplishing that objective through our blog, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and other relevant online properties.
• Collect and generate content for PR and media, such as talking points, pitches, and stories of impact.
• Use Google Analytics and other measurement tools to provide insight into the return on investment of all content efforts, devising and regularly reporting on key metrics.
• Assist with usability and design testing, challenging assumptions with user research as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A Bachelor’s degree
• 3-5 years of marketing and/or content strategy experience, engaging large scale audiences (100,000+ subscribers)
• Excellent and polished writing skills, with comfort writing for a range of audiences and on a variety of different platforms
• Experience with email marketing applications, such as Constant Contact or MailChimp
• Experience with email automation and integrating into customer journey pipelines
• Experience with content management systems, Drupal CSM preferred
• Ability to think strategically and make data-informed decisions
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
• Knowledge of HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, and content management systems
• Understanding of Google Analytics and other social media monitoring applications
• A familiarity with popular social media tools, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, and LinkedIn
• Familiarity with accessibility standards, usability principles, and SEO guidelines
• Photography and video editing skills a plus
• Ability to manage many projects simultaneously
• Professional and positive demeanor, both in-person and over the phone
High 40s. We provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and ample paid time off.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com (subject: Content Lead)
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.