Do you have a passion for communications? Do you enjoy generating content that brings a nonprofit’s work to life? Are you someone with great attention to detail and thrives when tasked with projects that make day-to-day operations run smoothly?
Reporting to the Marketing & Communications Officer, the Communications Associate will help write and design for the New York Cares website and print as well as edit copy, assist with social media, and perform various administrative tasks for the department. The Communications Associate will work collaboratively alongside a small team to communicate the pressing needs of our city and the volunteer opportunities New York Cares makes available to meet those needs. From drafting copy for social media to making website updates and much more, this team member will help tell the story of New York Cares on a variety of communications platforms.
- Ensure the department runs smoothly administratively, from submitting finance forms to managing payments and tracking supplies and inventory
- Assist with the production and distribution of a variety of communications (website, email, social, and print)
- Write high-quality, research-based content on issues such as civic engagement, equity, and other relevant topics
- Assist with social media maintenance and other online properties such as Google Business and NextDoor
- Oversee the collection and maintenance of digital assets using our Libris photo library
- Manage quick turnaround of content updates to the New York Cares website
- Photograph volunteer projects, fundraisers, and other events, as needed
- Edit photo and video content, as needed
- Organize and help maintain our content library
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent and polished copywriting skills, with comfort writing for a variety of audiences while using progressive and inclusive language
- Familiarity with popular social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- Experience with email marketing applications, such as MailChimp
- Photo editing skills using Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat)
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Basic photography and video skills
- Ability to manage many projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
- Willingness to travel via mass transit across the five boroughs on occasion
$20/hr; 10 hours per week
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the position in the subject line. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Peace Corps & AmeriCorps alumni are encouraged to apply.