The Chief Program Officer (CPO) will drive the strategic development, execution, and ongoing refinement of New York Cares’ programs, ensuring an impactful experience for volunteers, partner organizations, and communities. The CPO will lead New York Cares’ efforts to deepen its engagement with volunteers and community partners and develop a best-in-class digital platform for program management, recruiting, retaining, and recognizing volunteers.
The Chief Program Officer reports directly to the Executive Director, leading a team of 39 dedicated program professionals.
Program Leadership, Design & Transformation
- Provide the ongoing design, implementation of New York Cares’ programmatic strategy, ensuring alignment with organizational vision and goals; ensure high-quality execution of programs and further develop the organization’s plan for evaluating impact on volunteer, partner organizations, and their clients
- Oversee ongoing analysis and evaluation of program data to assess program effectiveness, improve performance, and drive future programming
- Collaborate and provide guidance on technology advancements to increase efficiencies with stakeholders, programs, and New York Cares’ community experience
- Lead annual budget development process for all programs; oversee ongoing reporting to ensure accountability
- Provide transformational leadership to program staff; managing professional development, and coaching to support a collaborative, innovative, and high-performing team, and culture
Executive Thought Partner, Collaborator & Strategist
- Serve as key member of New York Cares' Senior Leadership team, contributing to the execution of organizational strategy and goals
- Build consensus, inspire ongoing support and participation with key stakeholders
- Foster strategic, cross-functional collaborations with Sr. Leadership that uplift New York Cares’ competencies and values
Community Building, Planning & Board Relations
- Serve as the primary liaison to the New York Cares’ Board of Directors
- Build and sustain relationships with key funders and external partners including NYC Service, Department of Education, Department of Parks and Recreation, Emergency Management, Department of Homeless Services, and Points of Light
- Identify opportunities for cross collaboration with current and prospective partner organizations
- Engage with leaders in the sector to share insights and best practices, staying abreast of new priorities and initiatives and contributing to the broader field
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or Advanced degree; and/or 15 years of progressive experience leading into a leadership capacity
- 10 years’ experience leading the strategic execution of programs, community building and volunteer programs
- Proven track record of success in designing and implementing large-scale, complex programs and scenario mapping
- Experience in community building, executing program strategies and leading a large team across multiple departments
- Servant leader with strength in coaching, developing and empowering team members to show up as their best selves
- Ability to gain consensus as a trusted leader that welcomes feedback at all levels with intellectual humility
- Technical Proficiencies: Microsoft Suite; Word, Excel, PowerPoint; cloud-based tools, co-develop/implement digital products/platforms
- Experience navigating New York City non-profit landscape and/or urban communities within a major metropolitan
- Passion for the mission, vision, values, and communities within the New York Cares’ network
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
New York Cares has retained CliftonLarsonAllen, LLP (CLA Search) to spearhead our search efforts. Please send notes of inquiry and resumes to: Octavia Gilmore, National Search Leader | firstname.lastname@example.org. Download a PDF version of this position description.