New York Cares is recruiting four AmeriCorps VISTA members to maintain, create, and expand tailored academic support and enrichment opportunities for students, parents, and community members at fifteen public schools in targeted high-need neighborhoods in New York City. VISTA members play an integral on-the-ground role, evaluating and addressing the unique challenges that these schools and communities face. Ultimately, VISTA members organize programs that work toward closing the achievement gap between low-income students and their more affluent counterparts, setting them up for success later in life. AmeriCorps members commit to serve full-time for a year at a nonprofit organization or government agency.
Reporting to the Officer of School Success, the School Success Associate will be part of the Education and Family Programs Department that coordinates, develops, manages and evaluates New York Cares’ volunteer programs. The associate will be expected to collaborate closely with three to four participating school partners to determine the priorities of their school communities and develop at least two new ongoing volunteer programs serving students and/or their parents at their partner schools.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with school principals and administrators, parent groups, and (when applicable) Community School committees to assess partner school needs and areas for impact
- Building a framework to run volunteer-led programming at each school by planning and implementing sustainable and high-quality volunteer service programs
- Cultivating and maintaining collaborative partnerships with partner agencies
- Conducting community mapping and needs assessment exercises in targeted communities
- Managing at least 25 ongoing volunteer programs
- Facilitating family engagement in schools by engaging parents as volunteers and by organizing family activities for students and their parents
- Attending community meetings, events, and activities
- Leading volunteer orientation and training within targeted communities
- Recruiting, training and placing local and regular volunteers on school projects
- Assisting New York Cares staff in expanding children’s and adult education programs to new sites, including arts, sports, Stem, healthy eating, and other recreation-based educational programs
- Developing volunteer Team leaders and leading volunteer projects as needed
- Assessing programs by attending volunteer projects and collecting feedback
- Conceiving, planning, and staffing one-time volunteer projects for corporate volunteer groups
- Compiling and evaluating data on student progress and volunteer effectiveness in compliance with AmeriCorps standards
- Designing a replicable implementation plan for future years catered to specific school needs
New York Cares volunteer projects, trainings, and events may take place before and after traditional work hours and on weekends, requiring the School Success Associate to set schedules that accommodate these hours. Projects, trainings, and events take place in all five boroughs requiring staff to travel throughout the city on a weekly basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree or commensurate experience preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism and service
- Ability to make a one-year commitment to AmeriCorps and New York Cares
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Familiarity with the New York City public school system
- Interest and experience in providing academic support for youth
- Strong group facilitation skills and ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong background in MS Office and Salesforce, a plus
- Ability to lift/move up to 30 pounds
- Strong administrative skills, including an ability to manage and multi-task many projects
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
- Bilingual (Spanish), a plus
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position. The VISTA Member will receive a stipend from the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) of $20,640 per year and a monthly metro card from New York Cares. For more information about AmeriCorps, visit www.americorps.gov.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to New York Cares, Attn: School Success and Family Programs, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org (please include job title in the subject line).
New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer