New York Cares Day for Schools is an annual day of service devoted to engaging community members in the revitalization of New York City public schools. On October 19, 2019, over a thousand volunteers will work together to make schools across the city brighter, cleaner, and more inviting places to learn. New York Cares provides participating schools with volunteer teams, supplies, and overall support for the day.
Participating schools are selected based on a number of criteria including, but not limited to the following:
- Economic need relative to all New York City Department of Education schools
- Capacity for ongoing volunteer supported programming
- Guaranteed principal presence for some or all of the initial on-site meeting as well as physical condition of school as assessed during the site visit
- Guaranteed presence on-site of the Principal and/or Main Contact from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, October 19, 2019
- Ability to provide a range of both indoor and outdoor projects
- Sufficient work for a minimum of 70 volunteers for a 3-hour day of service
- The school’s full commitment and support of the event, i.e. communication throughout the process, adequate project tasks, and presence on the day of
If your school was not selected to take part in Cares Day for Schools for 2019, there is still the potential to provide revitalization support at other times of the year. If you're interseted, please fill out our partnership interest form or contact your program manager.